Registration for 2019-20 School Year
RCSD Begins Process to Welcome New Families and Offer Choice in Education
Families who will be new to Redwood City School District (RCSD) for the 2019-20 school year and current RCSD families looking to transfer to another program or school next August of 2019, will have the opportunity to start planning in January of 2019.
RCSD is a stellar PreK-8 school district known for its very unique and popular award-winning programs. We invite families to engage in the enrollment and registration process by:
- Attending Meet RCSD Night, an evening to learn more about RCSD, meet teachers, parents, and administrators
- Taking a tour of your neighborhood school or any other program of your interest
- Talking to current parents whose children are attending the program in which you are interested
- Filling out an enrollment application for your neighborhood school. If you are interested in transferring to another program within RCSD, you will also need to fill out a Schools of Choice application
Here are some key dates to keep handy as we welcome you to RCSD and work with you to build the education foundation for your child!
- December 1, 8, and 15, 2018, 9 AM- Noon: RCSD welcomes families of students interested in attending North Star Academy to take the Cogat 7 assessment, which measures students knowledge in three different areas--Verbal, Non-Verbal, and Quantitative. Three different dates have been scheduled for your convenience including Saturday December 1, Saturday December 8, and Saturday December 15. The assessment will take three hours starting at 9 am. Parents should plan on picking up students after noon. Additional information will be posted on North Star Academy’s website later this fall. Assessment results will be mailed to families starting during winter break.
- Thursday, January 10, 2019, 5:45 PM: RCSD welcomes new families to Meet RCSD Night, an evening to learn about the district’s culture of teaching and learning, its programs and offerings, and the registration and School of Choice process. This event takes place at McKinley Institute of Technology (MIT), 400 Duane St. in Redwood City. Doors open at 5:30 PM. The presentation in English (with simultaneous Spanish translation) begins at 6:00 PM followed by a Meet & Greet from 6:15 PM until 7:30 PM.
- Friday, January 11, 2019, 8 AM: All RCSD programs and schools begin to welcome families for tours. We invite families to check the program’s or school’s website in which they are interested as different programs schedule specific dates and times. Please call the program or school to reserve a spot for a tour!
- Friday, January 11, 2019, 9 AM: New RCSD families can register their student into their neighborhood school by doing so online or at any RCSD school office. Parents interested in applying at North Star Academy may also turn in their application starting on this date. Only students who have already participated in the Cogat 7 assessment in December of 2018 will be able to apply for the 2019-20 school year.
- A school staff member may contact families at a later date for additional required documents.
- Families with children between the ages of two years and nine months and five years old can enroll their children in preschool, the RCSD Child Development Center (CDC), by calling (650) 482-2417, which is a separate process than enrolling in TK-8.)
- Friday, January 11, 2019, 9 AM: New RCSD families and current RCSD families looking to transfer to another program or school other than their neighborhood school may do so starting at this time by filling out an application for the first Schools of Choice application window. The deadline to fill out the application is 2 PM on Friday, February 1. Families looking to transfer their student to another program or school also may fill out their Schools of Choice application for the first application window on site when visiting their neighborhood school.
(Please note: Families who fill out a Schools of Choice application with the intention to transfer to a different program or school other than their neighborhood school, will be entered into a random computerized lottery. This means that families have time to take a tour of the programs before submitting their School of Choice application before the deadline on Friday, February 1, 2019 at 2PM).
- Saturday, January 12, 2019, 9 AM: New RCSD families interested in registering face to face but are not able to do so during the week may visit the RCSD District Office, which is located at 750 Bradford St. in Redwood City. RCSD will be open from 9 AM to 4PM to help any family from throughout the school district.
- Friday, January 25, 2019, 2 PM: Applications close for parents of students interested in North Star Academy for the 2019-20 school year.
- Friday, February 1, 2019, 2 PM: The first application window for the Schools of Choice process closes. All applications are entered into a random computerized lottery.
- Friday, February 1, 2019, 2 PM: RCSD begins to notify parents of students who have been accepted to North Star Academy.
- Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 2 PM: Deadline for parents of students who have been accepted to North Star Academy to confirm with the school on whether they will be accepting the spot. Parents who do not notify the school by this date will be removed from the list.
- Friday, March 1, 2019, 2 PM: RCSD begins to notify families in the 1st Round of their program or school placement based on their Schools of Choice application and random lottery results. The district also will notify families if they are placed on a waitlist.
The families who will be notified during this 1st Round are parents of rising kindergartners at all schools including rising kindergartners for the Spanish dual language immersion program as well as the Mandarin dual language immersion program, rising transitional kindergartners (TK), and rising 6th graders at McKinley Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 2 PM: Deadline for families in the 1st Round to accept their school placement based on their Schools of Choice application and the lottery results.
- Friday, March 22, 2019, 2 PM: RCSD begins to notify families in the 2nd Round of their program or school placement based on their Schools Choice application and lottery results. The district also will notify families if they are placed on a waitlist.
The families who will be notified during this 2nd Round are parents of rising 1-8 graders and parents of rising 6-8 graders at Kennedy Middle School.
- Monday, April 22, 2019, 9 AM: The Schools of Choice process for the second application window for the 2019-20 school year opens for submission. Families looking to transfer will be able to select from options where space is available.
(Please Note: The random lottery only takes place during the first application window in the fall of every school year. Families looking to transfer during the second application window in the spring of every school year are placed in the program, school or a waitlist based on the order that the application is received. It is also important to note that North Star Academy is not available as an option during the spring. North Star Academy's process only takes place once a year during the fall.)
- Friday, September 13, 2019, 2 PM: The second window for the Schools of Choice application process closes in its entirety for the 2019-20 school year.
(Please Note: Families are notified of their placement on a case by case basis as each student is placed based on the order that their application was received.)
The registration and Schools of Choice process for the 2020-2021 school year opens for its first application window later in the fall of 2019.