Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten for children turning five-years old between September 2 through April 2. It is the first year of a two year kindergarten program, providing young learners a head start and the opportunity to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic and social needs.
The TK curriculum is a blend of California Common Core Kindergarten standards and the CA Preschool Foundations for five-year olds. The TK program gives students an additional opportunity to continue to build their skills and abilities. Their time in TK will help them to succeed in Kindergarten, become leaders in the classroom, and confidently navigate the school day routine.
The TK class provides more opportunities for social-emotional and language development, including mathematics functions through interactive, hands-on activities, which helps students develop and build upon existing skills to be successful in kindergarten, and stimulating classroom centers, which focus on science, mathematics, writing, arts and crafts, community role play, etc.
TK is part of the public school system and is free to participating students. Registration in the program is optional. Students attend the one-year program and the following year begin kindergarten. All TK teachers are fully credentialed educators who also hold 24 units of early childhood education. They teach the district-adopted curriculum.
- I would like to enroll my child in Transitional Kindergarten. What options does RCSD offer for TK?
- How do I register my child for TK?
- How will RCSD assign my child's site for TK?
- My child is currently enrolled in PreK at Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion School or Mandarin Immersion at Orion Alternative Elementary School. I would like to stay at this campus for TK. Is that a possibility?
- Will there be a charge to attend the TK class?
- Is TK mandatory for students who turn 5 after September 1?
- What happens if more children register for TK than expected?
- If my child is already enrolled in TK do they need to register to attend Kindergarten in RCSD?
- My child is currently attending a TK class at one of the schools offering TK, do they need to continue attending that school for Kindergarten and beyond?
- What are the hours for TK?
For More Information Contact:
Redwood City School District Registration Office at 650-482-2027
The local educational agency (LEA) adopted a policy that prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.