RCSD Fast Facts
Redwood City School District (RCSD) is an innovative and award-winning PreK-8 district serving 6,400 students in Redwood City and portions of Atherton, Menlo Park, San Carlos, and Woodside. RCSD 8th graders feed into the Sequoia Union High School District (SUHSD). Learn more at rcsdk8.net.
RCSD creates a safe and supportive, inspirational and rigorous, joyful and inclusive environment for all learners
RCSD will be a thriving, dynamic, innovative, and nurturing community where each student realizes their unique gifts and strengths to achieve high intellectual performances for personal and academic success
- RCSD’s PreK program welcomes children aged three and four years old.
- RCSD is home to programs and schools honored with prestigious awards such as:
- An international recognition by the Embassy of Spain;
- National Blue Ribbon School awards;
- California Gold Ribbon School honors;
- A recognition for the school district’s Early Academic Language Model;
- The inaugural Excellence in Education and Equity award from the San Mateo County Office of Education;
- Numerous other awards by the state and county School Board associations.
- RCSD offers choice in education; parents can choose and apply for their children to attend a variety of innovative programs and schools such as:
- Accelerated Learning
- Community Schools
- Developmental Bilingual Education
- Dual language immersion in Spanish
- Mandarin Immersion
- Music and Performing Arts
- Parent Participation
- Project-Based Learning (PBL)
- STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics)
- Technology Literacy
- RCSD serves 6,400 PreK-8 students.
- RCSD students represent the global workforce of the Bay Area speaking more than 35 different languages at home including Arabic, Mandarin, Polish, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
- RCSD has earned the reputation of a leader in language acquisition.
- Hispanic/Latino students make up the largest ethnic group at 68%; 22% of students are white; 6% are Asian/Pacific Islander; and 1% are African-American.
- 32% of RCSD students are English language learners.
RCSD Student Achievement:
- RCSD has increased the Standard Met and the Standard Exceeded achievement levels of student performance in California’s Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments by:
- 5% in English language arts from 2017, and an overall 13% increase from the baseline in 2015.
- 6% increase in Mathematics from 2017, and an overall 12% increase from the baseline in 2015.
- In 2018-19, RCSD reclassified 333 English learner students into English language proficiency.
- RCSD is the employer of choice for more than 900 public servants.
- Approximately 400 of RCSD’s employees are teachers.
- RCSD supports all teachers with ongoing professional learning opportunities and an in-house induction coaching model for two years for new teachers.
- Redwood City School District manages an annual budget of $100 million.
- Each day, the school district serves more than 7,200 breakfasts and lunches.
- Safe and environmentally responsible facilities welcome students to school every day as RCSD custodians and groundskeepers maintain 870,000 square feet of space.
- RCSD’s supportive community approved:
- A $193 million bond program to modernize RCSD schools and
- A $1.9 million per year parcel tax to to continue enhancing mathematics, science, reading and writing skills; to attract and retain highly-qualified teachers; to continue enhancing quality arts and music programs; and to continue updating instructional technology and classroom computers.
- RCSD students and their families benefit from the support and generosity of a number of long standing partners and neighbors in higher education, in Silicon Valley’s tech industry, in the world of nonprofit, and in the public sector.
- More than 1,500 students participate every summer in programs offered by RCSD’s partners.
- More than 40 different programs operate in RCSD schools, with the help of community partners and grants.
Redwood City School District
Serving Students in PreK-8 Grades
750 Bradford St.
Redwood City, CA, 94063