Welcome to the Redwood City School District Child Development Centers!
The Redwood City School District provides preschool and childcare services to promote healthy child development, support families and help prepare children for success in school and life. We offer part-day and full day preschool programs for children 3 to 5 years of age, as well as after school care for Kindergarten and first graders. Our programs server over 700 preschool-age and school age children in classrooms on seven public school campuses.
The Child Development Centers provide an age-appropriate educational program that fosters the development of skills in cognitive, language, social, emotional and physical domains. Our child-centered approach and environments encourage exploration, creativity and problem-solving as children 'learn how to learn' and become ready to be successful in kindergarten and primary grades. Curriculum content is aligned with kindergarten standards and includes early literacy and math, science, art, music movement and sensory-motor activities. Parents are informed regularly about their children's progress and school readiness skills, and are encouraged to support learning at home.
Other features of our program include:
- Maximum group sizes are 24 in preschool and 28 children in kinder and 1st.
- All teaching staff are trained in early childhood education.
- Full day classes are generally open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. ; our preschool classes have morning or afternoon schedules.
- Most of our classrooms have bilingual staff and programming.
- Parents are encouraged to participate actively in their child's program through Parent Advisory Committees and volunteering in the classroom.
- All children receive lunch and/or snacks through the USDA Child Care Food Program.
- As a public agency, we refrain from any type of religious instruction.
- All staff hold current CPR/First Aid Certificates