RCSD Fast Facts
Redwood City School District (RCSD) is an innovative and award-winning district of choice serving 7,700 students and their families. Situated on the San Francisco Bay Area’s mid-Peninsula between San Francisco and San José, RCSD is comprised of 16 schools serving students in grades PreK-8 in Redwood City and portions of Atherton, Menlo Park, San Carlos, and Woodside. The school district's programs such as Mandarin and Spanish language immersion, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics), Accelerated Learning, Project Based Learning (PBL), Gifted and Talented Education (GATE), and more, attract families from throughout the Peninsula, the East Bay, and the South Bay. RCSD 8th graders feed into the Sequoia Union High School District (SUHSD). Learn more at rcsdk8.net.
Educating Every Child for Success
- Redwood City School District serves 7,700 students in grades PreK-8.
- Hispanic/Latino students make up the largest ethnic group at 66%; 23% of students are white; 8% are Asian/Pacific Islander; and 1% are African-American.
- 38% of RCSD students are English language learners.
- RCSD students represent the global workforce of the Bay Area speaking more than 35 different languages at home including Arabic, Mandarin, Polish, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
- RCSD has earned the reputation of a leader in language acquisition.
- Redwood City School District operates 16 schools, including four PreK-5 schools, three Prek-8 schools, two schools serving students in grades TK-8, three K-5 elementary schools, one K-8 school, one school for 3-8 graders, and two at the 6-8 middle school level.
- RCSD’s PreK program welcomes children aged two through four years old.
- RCSD is home to programs and schools honored with prestigious awards such as:
- An international recognition by the Embassy of Spain;
- National Blue Ribbon School awards;
- Five California Gold Ribbon School honors;
- A recognition for the school district’s Early Academic Language Model;
- Numerous awards by the state and county School Board Associations.
- RCSD is a district of choice meaning parents can choose and apply for their children to attend a variety of innovative programs and schools such as:
- Spanish language immersion,
- Mandarin language immersion,
- Project-Based Learning (PBL),
- STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics),
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE),
- Accelerated Learning,
- Bilingual Education in Spanish,
- Parent Involvement,
- Community Schools,
- Music and Performing Arts, and more.
- Redwood City School District manages an annual budget of $100 million.
- Each day, the school district serves more than 7,200 breakfasts and lunches during the school day.
- Safe and environmentally responsible facilities welcome students to school every day as RCSD custodians and groundskeepers maintain 870,000 square feet of space.
- RCSD’s supportive community approved a $193 million bond program to modernize RCSD schools and a $1.9 million per year parcel tax to to continue enhancing mathematics, science, reading and writing skills; to attract and retain highly-qualified teachers; to continue enhancing quality arts and music programs; and to update instructional technology and classroom computers.
- Redwood City School District students and their families benefit from the support and generosity of a number of strong partners and neighbors in higher education, in Silicon Valley’s tech industry, in the world of nonprofit, and in the public sector.
- More than 1,500 students participate every summer in programs offered by RCSD’s partners.
- More than 40 different programs operate in RCSD schools, with the majority of services being in kind or heavily supplemented.
- Redwood City School District is the employer of choice for more than 900 public servants.
- Approximately 400 of RCSD’s employees are teachers.
Redwood City School District
Serving Students in PreK-8 Grades
750 Bradford St.
Redwood City, CA, 94063