The Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA) Program is the preferred pathway to a California Clear Teaching Credential. BTSA Induction is co-administered by the California Department of Education (CDE) and the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Created by SB 2042, the program is designed to provide support to new teachers as they progress toward their Clear credential.
The Redwood City School District BTSA Credentialing Program serves teachers who have received their preliminary credential. The RCSD BTSA program respects the experience and knowledge that participants hold, and provides them with opportunities to expand, enrich and deepen their professional practice through collegial reflection and ongoing study.
The following are central to the purpose of the BTSA program:
New Teacher Support
- To provide a purposeful, logically sequenced structure of extended preparation and professional development to eligible first-year and second-year teachers.
- To improve the educational performance of students through training, information and assistance for new teachers.
- To enable participating teachers to be effective in teaching students who are culturally, linguistically and academically diverse.
- To provide comprehensive support to participating teachers in a situated learning environment, with frequent reflection on practice through the use of formative assessment that is based on both the California Standards for the Teaching Profession and the Induction Program Standards.
Our goal is to provide new teachers with a rewarding experience that will build professional skills, establish positive instructional practices, and promote collegial collaboration.
Contact InformationFor more information about the RCSD BTSA Credentialing Program, contactWendy Kelly, BTSA Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- New teacher orientation
- Dedicated, experienced mentors, closely matched by grade level/subject area and site
- Weekly on-site support from trained mentors
- Release time for observation and professional growth
- Integrated approach to site and district professional development initiatives
- A flexible formative assessment system, designed to accommodate teachers' individual growth goals
- Program alignment with the California Standards for the Teaching Profession and the Induction Program Standards
- Course credit available through University of the Pacific