The mission of John Gill School is to provide an excellent education for ALL students in a collaborative and structured environment that is academically rigorous and joyful, setting students on the path for success in college and in life.
Why Choose John Gill For Your Child?John Gill is housed in a beautiful, historic building in the middle of the family-friendly Mount Carmel neighborhood of Redwood City. For the 2016-17 school year we begin to design our S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) integrated focus with Dr. Emily Thomforde, the S.T.E.A.M. coordinator leading the charge. We offer hands on science with our partners "Outside Education" in our very own school garden. We continue to offer dance and bi-weekly art with professional performing artists.We are entering our second year of Mandarin Immersion strand for families that choose the Mandarin track.
We believe families are our strongest partners at John Gill.
Families play an active and vital role in the education of their children, monitor academic performance, work with teachers to emphasize the importance of education, and model a commitment to learning. Because the values and vision for John Gill School are developed with families, parents strongly support our school program. John Gill parent leaders participate in the life of the school by attending and planning programs, volunteering services, and assisting in the process designed to enhance the aspects of the school.
John Gill offers:
• An integrated curriculum with a S.T.E.A.M. focus.• Caring staff and community• Individualized learning in literacy for all students.
• A math rich curriculum; teachers in grade k-3 work in partnership with the Early Learning Math Initiative teachers.• Physical education with professional PE coaches twice a week• Dance and art with culminating evening performances• Technology, chromebooks and ipads in classrooms.
Please contact me if you would like to know more about John Gill School or the Mandarin Immersion Program. - Principal Katherine Rivera
"School of Choice" Mandarin Chinese Immersion Program is offered at John Gill Elementary. Students will graduate bilingual in Chinese and English, and will follow the California Common Core Curriculum. The Program will be initially available to kindergarten and 1st grade students, and will continue through 8th grade.
Benefits of the program include:
• A highly involved parent group working actively on curriculum, after school enrichment and 2nd language support programs alongside top educators, immersion specialists and experts from other successful RWC District Immersion Programs like Adelante Elementary.
• Diversity and exposure to multiple cultures. The program is targeting an equal mix of non-native and native speaking students from all backgrounds
• Availability. In and out-of-district residents may apply
More information can be found on the blog of the parents who have been working hard to bring Mandarin Immersion to Redwood City: http://rwcmandarin.blogspot.com/