School of Choice
The second School of Choice application window for the 2019-20 school year closed on Friday, Sept. 13, at 3 pm. Families who are currently on a waitlist will be contacted once a seat is available in the program for which the family applied.
Families will have an opportunity to fill out a School of Choice application for the 2020-21 school year once the first windown opens in January of 2020.
Redwood City School District offers choice in education, but what does that mean?
In our district, parents have the option of transferring their child to any of the district's award-winning programs and schools.
Six of the district's innovative programs and its schools are considered non-boundary schools. This means that these schools do not use an address to determine priority. All students may apply for admission and they are then selected randomly by lottery. The non-boundary programs are:
- Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion School - Grades Pre-K, TK, and K-5
- Accelerated Learning (North Star Academy)** - Grades 3-8
- Mandarin Immersion Program at the John Gill Campus - Grades K-5
- Orion Alternative at the John Gill Campus - Grades K-5
- Technology Literacy - McKinley Institute of Technology (MIT) - Grades 6-8
Parents must first register their child before applying for a School of Choice transfer. Please fill out the Registration Form first. You will then have the option to fill out a School of Choice transfer request.
In addition, families may also transfer to other schools. Priority is given to students who live within the school's neighborhood and, if there are spaces available after the neighborhood children are placed, students who have requested a transfer from another neighborhood are then placed via a random lottery.
Should there be more interest than spaces available, waitlists are created after the lottery placements and students are placed at their requested school when a spot becomes available. If a student moves into the area after the open enrollment period and their neighborhood school is full, they will be placed at a school that has openings. They will be placed at the top of their neighborhood school's waitlist and will be placed before any other non-neighborhood students on the waitlist.
The School of Choice priority placement is as follows:
- Siblings of students who already attend the school and who will attend the school in the same academic year.
- Students currently on a School of Choice waitlist and have reapplied to stay on the waitlist.
- New School of Choice applicants.
- Siblings of current Interdistrict Transfer students who live outside the Redwood City School District boundary.
- Interdistrict Transfer students must have a sibling who already attends the school and who will attend the school in the same academic year.
- Interdistrict Transfer students who live outside the Redwood City School District boundary.
**North Star Academy students must pass an entry exam and complete the required paperwork before being added to the school's lottery. Please visit the North Star's website for more information about requirements, testing, and placement. The application period for North Star Academy only takes place during the fall of each school year.
Please call Melanie Davenport in School of Choice at 650-482-2237 or email@example.com