***Important*** If you've already filled out a senior exemption form for Measure W, you do not need to re-apply for senior exemption for Measure U.  Your Measure W exemption will automatically roll forward to Measure U.

    Who qualifies for a senior exemption from the parcel tax?
    An exemption to the school district’s parcel tax subject to voter approval on November 8, 2016, is available to eligible seniors who reside in property they own in the territory of the school district, as follows: “An exemption from payment of the special tax may be granted on any parcel owned by one or more persons 65 years of age or over who occupies said parcel as a principal residence, upon application for exemption....Exemptions may be granted based on a one-time application, subject to District’s right to verify a property owner’s continuing qualification for exemption.”
    How do I file for an exemption?
    If you wish to be exempt from the parcel tax (Measure U), you need to file a Request for Exemption form.  This form will be available at the school district administrative offices (located at 750 Bradford Street, Redwood City, CA 94063), by mail or at public libraries.  To process your Request for Exemption Form you will need to provide the following documents:
       1. A completed Request for Exemption Form
       2. A current (most recent) tax bill from the San Mateo County Tax Collector showing ownership of your residence in the school district.
       3. Proof of age (one of these)
                • Driver’s License
                • Medicare Card
                • Birth Certificate
                • Passport
       4. Proof of residency at the property located in the school district (one of these)
                • Utility bill (such as PG&E, telephone, sewer, water or garbage)
                • Driver’s License
    Once you have completed the Request for Exemption Form, you have two options for delivering the form to the school district:
    1. You can mail the form accompanied with photocopies of your property tax bill, proof of birth date and proof of residency to the school district office.
                   Redwood City School District
                   750 Bradford Street
                   Redwood City, CA 94063
                   Attn: Wael Saleh
    2. You can come to the school district office (750 Bradford Street, Redwood City, CA 94063) with your original documentation and we will make photocopies of the required items.
    What Do I Do Next Year?
    You do not need to fill out another Request for Exemption Form next year. Your exemption will continue year-to-year as long as you are eligible. However, if you are granted an exemption, from time-to-time the District may ask you to verify your continuing eligibility.