"School systems are not responsible for meeting every need of their students. But when the need directly affects learning, the school must meet the challenge".- Carnegie Council on adolescent Development (1989)
Redwood City Community Schools close the achievement gap by bridging communities and schools through innovative strategies and partnerships.
In Redwood City we have strong communities were all children thrive.What Are Community Schools?
Community School is a model focused on achieving educational success and develop the social, emotional and physical well-being of students, families, and the community.
Community schools provide multiple services through intentional partnerships to provide opportunities, optimize impact, and address identified needs at an individual and community level. We aim at closing any service gaps that can act as a barrier to learning while proactively offering initiatives to as part of learning through the whole-child lens.Community schools are equitable and culturally aware. Through shared leadership, effective coordination, and collective responsibility as our principles for student success, opportunities and services are integrated into the fabric of daily life in school and into the landscape of the school community. (Center for Strategic Community Innovation)
What does a community school look like?
While each community school is unique, Redwood City Community Schools have the following common features:
Quality Instruction:Community schools, first and foremost, emphasize learning. We believe all students can succeed and be held to high academic standards.
Partnerships:Comprehensive services and cradle-to-career initiatives are integrated into the school culture.Shared Leadership:True collaboration between school, partners, families and community drives the planning, implementation, evaluation, advocacy and decision-making.Coordination and Integration:Programs and services are coordinated and supported.Our Core team:
- Director of Community School Partnerships: provides district-wide tools, expectations and vision for the work. Drives community and system change.
- Community school Coordinators: provides the facilitating conditions for school community to work together around shared goals for students and families. Facilitates cross-sector communication and collaboration.
Community Schools Strategies
- Family Center Admin: is the face and welcoming hand for fmailie and partners. Provides integral support for communication, data, and daily operations.
For more information: Pati Ortiz, Director Community - School Partnerships @ 650-423-2268, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Engagement: Adult Education, Parenting, Outreach; Leadership; Events, Volunteerism; Coaching and Support
- Expanded Learning: Before and After School Programs; clubs, sports, youth leadership, summer programs
Family Support Services: Counseling, access to benefits, health insurance, referrals, basic needs ; food resources, etc.
- Coordination of Services: SSTs, Community School Task Force, inter-agency collaboration
- Partner integration: strong alignment and shared goals and accountability.
- Student Voice: student engagement, youth development.